Re: Network problem

Thanks for the replies, it's great to get some many so quick, and has
improved my mood no end.  I will try to figure things out further and update
y'all on my progress.

John.

> Have a look in /var/log/messages.  Also post output of ifconfig after it
goes down.

Oke.

> Do you use dhclient to get your IP?

Nope.  I have a static IP, and input all that info myself.

> Anyway, try "/etc/init.d/networking restart" to restart network
> connection.

Thanks for the tip.

> Are you sure you have to reboot? Try (as root) instead
> root@box:~# ifdown eth0
> root@box:~# ifup eth0

I'll give it a shot next time it happens.

> Hä? Did you change anything in your installation, or did you only swich
away from KDE2, > or did you upgrade your kernel.

Basically, I did a new install (formatted hard disk etc.) from the Debian CD
to get the 2.4 kernel  and I upgraded everything from the unstable
Debian.org apt-get resource.

> Tell us exactly what you did  before the problem started occuring.

I can't really remember exactly what I did before the problems started
happening - I haven't had a chance to really use the comp over the last few
weeks.

> do root@box:~# tail -n 30 /var/log/syslog immediately afterwards

Okedokey.

> Does the module insert cleanly?

Yep, everything installed ok (as far as i could see).

>  If you type /sbin/ifconfig, does it show information for eth0?

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:A0:CC:D5:AC:00
          inet addr:141.44.xxx.xxx  Bcast:141.44.xxx.xxx  Mask:255.255.255.0
          collisions:376 txqueuelen:100
          RX bytes:2420114 (2.3 MiB)  TX bytes:283855 (277.2 KiB)
          Interrupt:11 Base address:0xc000

> If it uses static assignments, did you specify it during the installation
when it asked
for network information?

You mean IP, gateway and DNS numbers etc? - I reckon everything is correct.