Re: VNC vs. X

Roberto Sanchez wrote:

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 04:03:01PM -0400, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> I have the vncserver running on two machines on my home LAN.  My

Why not just use X instead?  X is a networking window system, after
all, and it displays things far faster and more smoothly than VNC
could ever dream to be.

Becuase no matter where I am at school (where most machines run winblows) I can download the vncviewer (one .exe file, no install, no DLLs, and no necessity for admin privileges) and then SSH with port forwading and get access to my machines. Otherwise, I would need to install some sort of X client (which most of the machines do not have, except in one computer engineering lab),

No need to download the vncviewer; just use your Java-enabled web browser.

From http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/javavncviewer.html:

Because Java applets can only make connections back to the machine from which they were served, each of the VNC servers actually incorporates a small web server. This runs on port 58/xx/, where /xx/ is the display number, and will only serve the Java applet classes and an HTML page which contains them.

This means that you should be able to point any Java-capable browser at, for example:

http://snoopy:5802/

and you should, after a short pause, be able to connect to your VNC session.

Handy.

--
Kent