Re: I810 video problems

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003, Craig Dickson wrote:

> Cory Rudder wrote:
>
> > I have a problem with X on my computer. I have an intel i810 board, with
> > debian 3.0r1 , and xfree86 4.1.0.
> > when I start X it tries to work then the server crashes. The error is
> > "modprobe: Can't locate module "i810"" \n [drm] failed to load kernel module
> > "i810". Modprobe doesn't locate i810 or agpgart , but /dev/agpgart does
> > exist with 777 permissions ( i found a post about a permissions issue so I
> > set it that way temporarily.

make sure yoou have the modules
	ls -la /lib/modules/*/kernel/drivers/char/drm/i810*
	( try booting that kernel that does have the drivers )

otherwise, you'd have to get a compatible module or rebuild your own
kernel

> Well, I have X working fine on my i810. Unfortunately, it's been working
> fine for so long that I don't really remember what I did to get it to work.
> I remember that XFree86 3.3.6 didn't work for me at all, even with the
> Intel agpgart module that was required at that time. So I upgraded to
> XFree86 4.0 and got that to work without too much trouble.
>
> Here are the video-related config options that my kernel (2.4.20) was
> built with:
>
> CONFIG_AGP=y
> CONFIG_AGP_I810=y
> CONFIG_DRM=y
> CONFIG_DRM_NEW=y
> CONFIG_DRM_I810=y
> CONFIG_DRM_I810_XFREE_41=y

or as "m" modules too ..

c ya
alvin

XFree86 -configure
cp -p /etc/X11/XFConfig /etc/X11/XFConfig.b4.today
mv /path/XF86Config.new /etc/X11
X -probeonly
'sprinkle magic pixie dust and cross fingers'