Re: I810 video problems

Cory Rudder wrote:

> I have a problem with X on my computer. I have an intel i810 board, with
> debian 3.0r1 , and xfree86 4.1.0.
> when I start X it tries to work then the server crashes. The error is
> "modprobe: Can't locate module "i810"" \n [drm] failed to load kernel module
> "i810". Modprobe doesn't locate i810 or agpgart , but /dev/agpgart does
> exist with 777 permissions ( i found a post about a permissions issue so I
> set it that way temporarily.

Well, I have X working fine on my i810. Unfortunately, it's been working
fine for so long that I don't really remember what I did to get it to work.
I remember that XFree86 3.3.6 didn't work for me at all, even with the
Intel agpgart module that was required at that time. So I upgraded to
XFree86 4.0 and got that to work without too much trouble.

Here are the video-related config options that my kernel (2.4.20) was
built with:

CONFIG_AGP=y
CONFIG_AGP_I810=y
CONFIG_DRM=y
CONFIG_DRM_NEW=y
CONFIG_DRM_I810=y
CONFIG_DRM_I810_XFREE_41=y

Hmm. I suspect that the last one is no longer needed, since I now use
XFree86 4.2 from unstable. You probably need it, though.

And here is my X video card configuration from /etc/X11/XF86Config-4:

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Intel i810 Video"
	Driver		"i810"
	VideoRam	8192