can't load kernel from rescue.bin

I'm trying to install stable, via network, using floppies but can't get
the kernel to load.  Booting off rescue.bin works fine but it hangs at -

The next step should be loading the kernel and then prompting
for boot.bin.

The floppy image I'm using works with a couple other computers.  I used
a trustix floppy, works fine with the hardware.  I've swapped memory, messed
with bios settings, swapped out the floppy drive.  I downloaded and dded
another rescue.bin.  I've installed, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Gentoo and
Trustix on this same hardware.  Anyone know what is going on?  I've done
countless debian installs and never run into this.
Thanks,
kent

--
To know the truth is to distort the Universe.
                      Alfred N. Whitehead (adaptation)