Re: xcdroast coasters

Pigeon wrote:
On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 10:09:59AM -0400, tallison@tacocat.net wrote:

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 12:26:22PM -0700, nate wrote:

Tom Allison wrote:

I've heard a lot of good things about xcdroast.
But I have never EVER made anything but coasters with this one.

However,

it did work in Windows and it can burn very small ISO's (gentoo
installation CD).

...but from your January post, it didn't work very well in Windoze?

My CORDS experience is similar - after the drive has been writing for
so long it doesn't want to know anymore, so it's much easier to burn
small images than large ones.

I guess it's not impossible that the lubricant on the track has dried
up and the head is no longer moving smoothly, so a tiny drop of
silicone oil might sort it out. This is sometimes the problem with
audio CD players that crap out after playing a few tracks. I haven't
tried it as a cure for CORDS though.

"CORDS" ???

Crappy Old Ricoh Drive Syndrome (see my earlier posts) :-)

Now I tried an audio CD once and it recorded the first few songs well. After that it went into an increasing "warble" of the music.

Lube?

How? / Where?

Take the drive apart until you can get to the laser/lens assembly from
the top. Usually this is a needless PITA because the drives are
assembled upside down, so instead of simply taking the top off you
have to take the bottom off and dig the PCB and mechanics out from
below, which is easier on some drives than others. You often have to
have the tray open before you start, as well.

You will see the laser/lens assembly and a shiny steel rod that it
slides back and forth along (details vary but the principle is the
same). Apply the TINIEST drop of silicone oil to this rod and turn the
gears by hand to move the laser/lens assembly back and forth along it
a couple of times.

Don't use petroleum-based oil because it goes sticky over time and
isn't good for plastics.

Only use the TINIEST drop of silicone oil because the stuff creeps
over surfaces and if you put too much on it'll migrate into places
where it shouldn't be and cause more problems. Silicone grease isn't
so bad from this point of view but it's hard to find it in a
sufficiently light grade: most types are too thick, which tends to
make matters worse.

While you have it apart, wet-clean the lens with IPA (isopropyl
alcohol). Get a cotton bud, thoroughly soak one end in IPA and very
gently swab the lens with it. Use enough IPA that the surface of the
lens is thoroughly wetted. Then dry it off with the other end of the
bud.

Beware of using IPA-based stuff sold as "head cleaner" or whatever.
These things smell of IPA but also contain water, which tends to make
them leave smears behind.

Forget about so-called "lens-cleaning CDs", they don't work.

Note, this is not a guaranteed cure, but it may help.

Pigeon

You reminded me of another problem.
As we move into UV energy lasers, the Silicone grease will darken and brown over the optics.

--
The Universe is populated by stable things.
		-- Richard Dawkins