Re: VNC questions

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 04:03:01PM -0400, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> I want to thank everyone for the great suggestions so far, but I have
> another question.
>
> I have the vncserver running on two machines on my home LAN.  My
> firewall/router box (a 200MHz PPro) is running WindowMaker and my other
> machine (a 700MHz P3 laptop) has Gnome, KDE, and WindowMaker installed.
> When I vnc into my firewall/router box I get the WindowMaker Desktop (as I
> expect).  But, when I vnc from my firewall/router box into the laptop, I
> would like to see a Gnome desktop but I get a KDE desktop.
>
> The way I start the vncserver is by ssh'ing in to the machine (with the
> command line options for compression and forwarding ports 5901 and 5902 as
> appropriate) and then running 'vncserver :1 -geometry <resolution of
> machine I am sitting at>'.  I normally use gdm to manage my login for the
> laptop, but since I am running vncserver after loginning into the shell, I
> imagine that is using some preset default.  Any ideas on how to correct
> this?  Am I missing something?

I don't know your motives, but on a home LAN, ssh seems unnecessary,
and possibly slows things down. On my home LAN I prefer something like the following, rather than vnc:

$>X :1 -query <ip.of.application.server>

(actually I skip the :1 part, because I only need one X server on my
diskless terminal)

This way I get an login prompt from the display manager on
<ip.of.application.server> (in your case that would be gdm on your
laptop). I use kdm myself, but I think gdm must be configured to allow
non-local clients to get a login prompt. kdm is configured much like
xdm but gdm is different, and I don't know what must be changed.

As for default KDE or GNOME?

$>ls -l /etc/alternatives/x-session-manager

and

# update-alternatives --config x-session-manager

--
Hans Ekbrand (http://sociologi.cjb.net) <hans@sociologi.cjb.net>
GnuPG key: 1024D/7050614E (currently active subkey 03CE8884)