Re: Woody with a Promise Ultra133

On Tue, 2003-04-15 at 20:12, Andy wrote:
> On Monday 14 April 2003 08:34 pm, Goumba T. wrote:
> > I'm trying to install Woody (3.0r1) on my machine with a Promise
> > Ultra133 TX2 IDE card. When booting from CD I get past the keyboard
> > selection screen and the next states "No hardisks found".
> >
> > After searching the web, I found a German post stating the bootdisks
> > (bf-2.4) enabled Woody's install to recognize the disks, but it didn't
> > work for me. I still get the "no harddisks found". Other than that all I
> > can find are posts relating to issues once Woody is installed.
> >
> > I have installed Slackware 9 and Mandrake 9 on this machine which had no
> > problem recognizing the card and the drives.
> >
> > Any help greatly is appreciated. I'd really like to get Woody on here to
> > replace Mandrake.
>
> Take this for what it's worth as I am still a beginner.
>
> I had the same problem a few months ago and had to use Redhat unfortunately.
> But I have another install coming up and would like to use this same card.
>
> >From what I have researched so far, one would have to install Debian
> with the drive on a primary IDE controller, download an ATA133 patch,
> rebuild the kernel with the patch, then put the drive onto the ATA controller.

This may sound like a cop-out, but in order to be able to use standard
rescue disks, I'd always prefer to have my boot disk be driven by the
on-board controller.

This does not preclude one from putting /home, /var, /data, etc on
the /dev/hd[e-h].

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| An ad currently being run by the NEA (the US's biggest    |
| public school TEACHERS UNION) asks a teenager if he can   |
| find sodium and *chloride* in the periodic table of the   |
| elements.                                                 |
| And they wonder why people think public schools suck...   |