Re: Woody with a Promise Ultra133

On Monday 14 April 2003 08:34 pm, Goumba T. wrote:
> I'm trying to install Woody (3.0r1) on my machine with a Promise
> Ultra133 TX2 IDE card. When booting from CD I get past the keyboard
> selection screen and the next states "No hardisks found".
>
> After searching the web, I found a German post stating the bootdisks
> (bf-2.4) enabled Woody's install to recognize the disks, but it didn't
> work for me. I still get the "no harddisks found". Other than that all I
> can find are posts relating to issues once Woody is installed.
>
> I have installed Slackware 9 and Mandrake 9 on this machine which had no
> problem recognizing the card and the drives.
>
> Any help greatly is appreciated. I'd really like to get Woody on here to
> replace Mandrake.

Take this for what it's worth as I am still a beginner.

I had the same problem a few months ago and had to use Redhat unfortunately.
But I have another install coming up and would like to use this same card.

From what I have researched so far, one would have to install Debian
with the drive on a primary IDE controller, download an ATA133 patch,
rebuild the kernel with the patch, then put the drive onto the ATA controller.

You can get patches here:
http://www.1U-Raid5.net/Patches/
http://www.LinuxDiskCert.org/

I know how to do custom kernels but have never done "patches".
But this may give you some direction if you don't know how to patch a kernel:
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html#PATCHES-KERNEL-PKG

If you pull this off, please post to this list as I would be very interested.

Andy