new kernel, now no network

I got a new kernel installed (woody from 2.2.20 to 2.4.20) following these
instructions
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html

I selected to include the 3c59x network card driver in make menuconfig.  I
assumed it would just see the nic... but it doesn't.  Nic still works fine
in old kernel.

/etc/network/interfaces still has
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Do I need to put an alias in /etc/modules.conf?  There isn't one, and never
was one as far as I can tell.  Not sure what else to do or try.  ifup says
no such device, ifdown says cat: /var/run/dhclient.eth0.pid: no such file or
directory, error getting interface flags no such device.  Ifconfig says
device not found.  If it's not obvious I'm pretty clueless and am fishing at
this point.

There is nothing in /lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/net, should I try to
find a 3c59x.o and copy it in there?  I can put the one from the old kernel
in there, is that ok?