Re: new kernel, now no network

"Fitz Hugh Ludlow" <fhludlow@sbcglobal.net> writes:

> I got a new kernel installed (woody from 2.2.20 to 2.4.20) following
> these instructions
> http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html

(One advantage of the kernel-package system is that it's easy to
switch back to an old kernel if the new one doesn't work...  :-)

> I selected to include the 3c59x network card driver in make
> menuconfig.  I assumed it would just see the nic... but it doesn't.
> Nic still works fine in old kernel.

Select with "Y" to build into the kernel?  What kind of network card
do you actually have?

> Ifconfig says device not found.

That's probably the best indicator that the kernel doesn't have a
network driver it believes in.  Do the boot messages (or 'dmesg') say
anything informative?  'lspci' shows that the card exists, right?

> There is nothing in /lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/net, should I
> try to find a 3c59x.o and copy it in there?  I can put the one from
> the old kernel in there, is that ok?

If you built it into the kernel ('make menuconfig' says 'Y', not 'M')
you won't have a 3c59x.o, and that's fine.  In general modules need to
match the exact kernel they were built against; trying to bring in a
module from not just a different kernel but a different major kernel
release is almost guaranteed to fail.  If you built using make-kpkg,
though, you should have any modules you selected built and installed
under /lib/modules...

	-- Abra Mitchell