recommend video camera, or single shot camera

I would like to get a video camera that would give me pictures, sharp
enough to be readable, that is, to take pic of a blackboard, or smaller
dry-erase board, and be able to read what is written on it. So far the
images I've been getting with Logitech Quickcam are not sharp enough, I
need something better than that. The other (obvious) requisite t it must
work (hopefully) great with debian (woody). Thanks in advance.