Re: ppp over null modem cable

On 2003-04-16 10:01:49 -0500, Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:

> # Use the modem control lines.  On Ultrix, this option implies hardware
> # flow control, as for the crtscts option.  (This option is not fully
> # implemented.)
> modem

Shouldn't this be 'local' when there is no modem? (I've tried both,
but saw no difference.)

> Quibble: PPP is Peer-to-Peer Protocol.  There is no client/server
> distinction.

Well, the way I set it up, one side just waited for the other to
connect, so the terminology seemed natural.

> You should be able to run this at 115Kbps.  The 9600 below in
> options.ttyS0 is also a speed.  This may be your problem.

I'm not so sure, and yes, that could be my problem. The 486 has been
sitting in a closet for a rather long time, but I clearly remember
that windows 95 refused to run its serial port any faster than 57600
bps. I figured that _any_ hardware ought to be able to do 9600 bps, so
I'd try that first and then increase it as soon as I got things
working.

I'll try changing the speed and swapping the lines in the config files
around a bit, and see if that helps.

--
Karl Hasselström, kha@treskal.com
      www.treskal.com/kalle