ppp over null modem cable

I am trying to connect an old 486 to my slightly more modern computer
using ppp over a null modem cable, but no matter what I try, I get the
same result (see below). I'm guessing this may be caused by incorrect
configuration of one (or more :-) serial ports. At least I'm sure I'm
using the right ports, since doing 'cat /dev/ttyS3' on the server
while the client is trying to connect gives a few bytes of garbage on
stdout.

Does anyone have a clue what could be wrong, or how I could
troubleshoot this?

On the server (PII running stable with kernel 2.4.18)

/etc/ppp/options:
lock
noauth

/etc/ppp/options.ttyS3
asyncmap 0
crtscts
local
silent
192.168.2.1:192.168.2.2
9600

I run these as root:
# setserial -G /dev/ttyS3
/dev/ttyS3 uart 16550A port 0x02e8 irq 3 baud_base 115200 spd_normal
# pppd /dev/ttyS3 nodetach
Using interface ppp0
Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS3
[Nothing more happens, the process just waits.]

On the client (486 running stable with kernel 2.2.20)

/etc/ppp/options:
lock

/etc/ppp/options.ttyS0:
9600
crtscts
local
noauth

I run these as root:
# setserial -G /dev/ttyS0
/dev/ttyS0 uart 16450 port 0x03f8 irq 4 baud_base 115200 spd_normal skip_test
# pppd /dev/ttyS0 nodetach
Using interface ppp0
Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS0
[There is a delay of a minute or so.]