Installing an earlier kernel

Hi,

I have a recalcitrant hardware driver (IP2) which oopses my Woody server. I cannot get a reply from the maintainer, so I thought I would try a 2.2 series kernel (currently running 2.4.18-bf2.4).

I found some instructions which seem absurdly simple:
- apt-get install kernel-image-2.2.20
- Say "yes" to alter/install LILO
- run lilo (just to ensure no errors)
- reboot

I simply (and quickly) want to see if my oops goes away with a 2.2 kernel; 2.2.20 is the latest binary in Woody (apt-cache search kernel-image). Is there a problem with going "backwards" in kernel versions?

No thanks, I do *not* (yet) want to compile a custom kernel ... patches ... blah blah and blah. :-)

Thanks,
Anders.