changing the Gtk font

I use Gtk apps such as galeon and jpilot extensively. Recently,
I found out about ~/.gtkrc, and how it allows you to change the font
used by Gtk apps:

  % cat ~/.gtkrc
  style "default" {
    font = "-*-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-10-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-15"
  }

  widget_class "*" style "default"

This works like a charm on one of my systems. However, I also have
another system, which is configured *exactly* the same as the first
one. They are both running testing, they both have exactly the same
versions of the libgtk* and libglib* libraries, and they both have
the above file in my home directory, as well as the same locale
settings. Nevertheless, this second system seems to be ignoring my
Gtk settings.

I found out that I can solve the problem by changing my custom
locale on the system for LC_CTYPE from de_DE.ISO-8859-15 to C, so

  LC_CTYPE=C jpilot

will start jpilot and use the custom font I set in ~/.gtkrc.

Judging from the strace output, ~/.gtkrc is open()'d in both cases.
I have placed the two strace outputs in the following location:

  ftp://ftp.madduck.net/scratch/strace.jpilot-gtkfonts.lc_ctype=c.bz2
  ftp://ftp.madduck.net/scratch/strace.jpilot-gtkfonts.lc_ctype=de_DE.iso8859-15.bz2

(yes, ~/.gtkrc is a link to ~/etc/gtkrc on both systems).

I am really at a loss here. I have a patch solution, but I want to
get at the root of the problem.

Thus I appreciate any comments...

`. `'`

Keyserver problems? http://keyserver.kjsl.com/~jharris/keyserver.html