partitioning under debian and access to removable drives

Hi. My name is Ricardo. I have 4 partitions on my hdd:  /, /swap and the anothers that i would like to associate to  /home and /downloads. do i have to do like i did with my cdrom and cdrw:

mkdir /cdrom
mount -t iso9660 -o ro /dev/hdx /cdrom ...?

do i have to do something like this(something familiar)?
what can i do or were can i get help(i've been searching and have found nothing)?

p.s.-i'm having problems  accessing my floppy(1.4) and  zip100 ide drive. it gives an error of input/output, what sould i do?