Re: [LONG] RH refugee comments & questions

----- Original Message -----
From: "nate" <debian-user@aphroland.org>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2003 12:38 AM
Subject: Re: [LONG] RH refugee comments &amp; questions

> Antony Gelberg said:
>
> > Sure enough, the symlink was in /etc/rc2.d.  However on a reboot, the
> > service didn't start, and no amount of grepping through
/var/log/messages
> > seemed to help.
>
> that is very odd, never had it happen to me though I've not really
> used iptables much either :)
>
> can you /etc/rc2.d/S20iptables start (or whatever the link is named) ?

Actually, I realised what was going on just after I hit send...  Like a
plum, I was doing a ps ax |grep ipt.  Obviously iptables hooks into the
kernel and is not visible from ps ax, but iptables -L confirmed that all was
hunky dory...  I'll put that down to being in shock after getting rid of RH
(which I did like in a lot of ways).

> > And another thing.  When I'm happy with my package selection etc, and I
> > want to install a similar system on another box, is the best way to go
> > through the normal base install, then do an rcp host:/ /?  It takes so
> > long to fine-tune the package choice - don't fancy going through that
> > again...
>
> what I do:
>
> dpkg --get-selections >/tmp/selections
> (copy /tmp/selections to new system)
> dpkg --set-selections </tmp/selections
> apt-get dselect-upgrade
> (wait for installation to finish)

Gotta like that.  Anyone willing to go over the differences between apt-*
and dpkg?  Is is generally recommended to use dselect instead?