RE: Networking - dhcp-client

I apologize if I am coming in late on this (I missed the first message) and
it has already been discussed but here goes.

Typically IPs are doled out based on MAC address of the NIC so if you are
trying to connect two different machines, that would be a problem.  Dual
booting a machine should not be a problem since the MAC address doesn't
change.

However, that being said, some DHCP server can be made to filter on
host-name as well.  I know that when Cox was still @home, you had to have a
specific host name configured before receiving an IP address. Some providers
may still filter on the host name, so if you are using a different host
name/MAC address combination between Windows and Linux, that could be an
issue.

My suggestion, if you have the funds available is to install an inexpensive
D-Link, Linksys, etc. cable router.  It gets your external IP from the
provider and keeps it, and you can do whatever you want behind it.

Barry deFreese
Technology Services Manager
Nike Team Sports
(949)-616-4005
Barry.deFreese@nike.com

"Technology doesn't make you less stupid; it just makes you stupid faster."
Jerry Gregoire - Former CIO at Dell