Re: MTA: usage of smart host

On Wed, 2003-04-09 at 23:42, Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 12:32:56PM -0700, Michael Epting wrote:
> > I send out a weekly email to about 25 people and starting about two
> > weeks ago noted that email to my recipients at msn and hotmail were
> > being rejected.  I'm using exim direct (no smarthost) and theoretically
> > have dynamic IP although it has been fixed for well over a year.  I have
> > a sneaking suspicion that Microsoft is clamping down.
>
> I think more likely they just don't want certain spammers piling
> through, at least on Hotmail.  Anyrate, might look into what BL you're
> listed on, I don't have this problem with Hotmail and MSN, and there's
> a moderately sized mailing list with three or four messages a day
> minimum served out here.

I am fine with about three quarters of the msn/hotmail addresses I
actually use, but the remaining quarter or so bounce - even with people
on the same real ISP. Not using hotmail, I have a suspicion that this is
controlled by a user setting for spam filtering, or alternately is a
function of using m$n as one's ISP rather than just an email address.

Whatever the case, it is too coarse of a setting for filtering email as
potential spam - comparable in wisdom to filtering every email address
from a source of commercially available email access, on the reasoning a
spammer could connect to that domain.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org