Help with mouse

Can kind sole help me? I've been a RedHat user for a number of years and
with the release of 8.0 I've decided to switch to Debian. However there
is one thing stopping me from making the switch.

In Redhat I can use the mouse to hilite text when in Console mode (X not
running) The mouse works fine with X. I thought it was gpm that did this
but I can't seem to get it to work. I'm not talking about xterm X is not
running this is the inittab level 3 mode not the inittab level 5.

Thanks
Mike M.