Re: boot error: can not open root device "341" or 03:41

* Douglas Johannessen <dougj@interpacforest.com> [2003-04-09 20:38]:
> Hello:
>
> I run debian testing on a PC, dual boot with win95, each on a separate
> drive.  Recently i had a few disk errors which were fixed with fdsk.
> After a reboot i get the following error during the boot process:
>
> Linux IP multicast router 0.06 plus PIM-SM VFS: Cannot open root device
> "341 or 03:41 Please append a correct "root=" boot option kernel panic:
> UFS: unable to mount root FS on 03:41
>
> If i boot from the debian cd using the rescue option I do not get the
> error.  If I put root=/dev/hdb1 at the lilo prompt then I get a similar
> error with hdb1 in the place of 341.  I reinstalled the kernel image
> binary (kernel-image-2.4-686 2.4.20-7) and lilo.  After a reboot i get
> the same error.  Is there something else i should reinstall to solve
> this problem?

Are you running unstable? I have unstable installed and ran into this a
couple of days back. I noticed that this happened after lilo got
upgraded. I searched in the debian-devel archive. Somebody mentioned
that system came up fine after downgrading lilo to the previous
version.  I tried that but is still not working.

Since I needed to use the laptop very badly, I boot up the system with
knoppix(I dont have a floppy drive), chrooted the root drive and
configured grub. System came up fine after that.

As soon as I get some spare time, I am planning to look into this
problem. Meanwhile let me know if you are able to figure out the cause
of this.

Thanks,
Raju