Re: evolution / SMTP not working: "we do not relay"

El lun, 07 de 04 de 2003 a las 16:51, Jerome Lacoste escribió:
> > > received: 553 <NerdyGeeks@yahoogroups.com>... We do not relay
> >
> > Exactly as it should be, ;-)
> >
> > HTH, David
>

> Ok thanks David & all,
>
> It now works.
>
> I am sending emails through the SMTP server of my temporary ISP and it
> doesn't ask for any identification at the SMTP server level. Just
> because I am on the LAN, and that the ADSL modem acquired a valid IP it
> allows me to send emails.
>
> I still don't understand why there are so many SMTP security mechanisms
> (pop before SMTP, LOGIN, CRAM-MD5, etc...) if you can only use your
> ISP's smtp which doesn't seem to use any.

	Because you can configure your SMTP to accept authenticated messages
although it is not from your network, to allow your users to send mail
through your server although they are not directly connected to you. To
do it, you have to configure the SMTP server to allow SMTP
authentication and the user has to configure his email client to
authenticate the SMTP connection.

--
Angel L. Mateo Martínez
Sección de Redes y Comunicaciones