Re: Realtime OS needed

On Tuesday 08 April 2003 12:57, martin f krafft wrote:

> We are building a robot, and have been advised to use QNX
> (www.qnx.com) for that. QNX is a real-time OS that claims POSIX
> compliance. All nice and well, but I want APT and my familiar Linux
> environment.
>
> I know that there are realtime patches for Linux floating around. So
> I am wondering if any of you have had experience with any of those
> patches. Are they reliable and usable, and do they allow my
> controllers to run in real-time while I can still maintain the box
> with my Debian knowledge?
>
> Lastly: does anyone have a good document covering realtime, what
> it's needs are, and what it does? I know that realtime means that
> processes don't get put in a queue but run immediately. How that
> works with a multi-tasking OS is a bit foggy to me. Moreover, what's
> the difference between a process on a realtime OS, and one with
> nice -20?

It seems that QNX was everybody's choice when it came to a realtime OS
for embeded systems, untill recently. Recent advances have been made in
linux side. I know that one of my friends (in Calgary University,
Canada) is involved in a project to build robots, and they have been
using linux, happily for quite a while now.

LinuxDevices.com has published the proceedings from the Fourth Real-Time
Linux Workshop held December 6-7, 2002 in Boston, MA at the Computer
Science Department, Boston University. The conference was organized by
the Real-Time Linux Foundation. Twenty-six of the papers are available
as PDF downloads from

You can also take a look at http://www.realtimelinuxfoundation.org/

Cheers
--
/* My name is Jehovah. I have a special plan to save the universe, but
because of heavenly security reasons I can't tell you what that plan