Realtime OS needed

Folks,

We are building a robot, and have been advised to use QNX
(www.qnx.com) for that. QNX is a real-time OS that claims POSIX
compliance. All nice and well, but I want APT and my familiar Linux
environment.

I know that there are realtime patches for Linux floating around. So
I am wondering if any of you have had experience with any of those
patches. Are they reliable and usable, and do they allow my
controllers to run in real-time while I can still maintain the box
with my Debian knowledge?

Lastly: does anyone have a good document covering realtime, what
it's needs are, and what it does? I know that realtime means that
processes don't get put in a queue but run immediately. How that
works with a multi-tasking OS is a bit foggy to me. Moreover, what's
the difference between a process on a realtime OS, and one with
nice -20?

Thanks!

`. `'`

Keyserver problems? http://keyserver.kjsl.com/~jharris/keyserver.html