problems with file extensions longer than 3 letters

Hi Debian-users,

I have a strange problem (at least it is strange to me):
problems occur when I try to save to floppy or put to server through FTP with
files with more than 3 letter extensions. The file appears there, but
extension chopped to 3 letters (e.g. gnumeric becomes gnu, html becomes htm)
and the file contains nothing (0 bytes) ...

It first came using Konqueror, so I thought it's a KDE problem, but continued
when I tried to copy files to floppy from the command line.

When giving copy command I get the answer 'File exists. Overwrite?' - which
can't be, I checked first, there were no such files. After that if I choose
yes to overwrite I get the empty file with chopped extension.

I have no idea ...

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Thanks

Balazs