Re: Why I can't boot into Windows XP with Grub

On Tue, 2003-04-08 at 06:05, jqdkf@zju.edu.cn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Windows XP is on /dev/hda1, Linux is on /dev/hda7. I first installed
> grub on /dev/hda, but it can't load XP, so I try to use lilo. But the
> problem is that grub isn't removed by lilo after I installed lilo.
> Now I only can get into Linux. What should I do?

From what I remember, lilo is a hassle to set up to boot with XP. Unless
this has changed recently (and even in that case), grub is probably
better.

I used to use lilo all the time until my dad got a laptop and wanted to
dual boot XP & Linux. grub was painless to install and is much easier to
work with than LILO.

You can follow Mika's instructions to make sure grub can load XP.

HTH,

Shri

Shri Shrikumar             U R Byte Solutions
I.T. Consultant            Edinburgh, Scotland     Tel: 0845 644 4745
Email: shri@urbyte.com                             Web: www.urbyte.com