Re: problems with file extensions longer than 3 letters

On Tue, 2003-04-08 at 11:10, Szabó Balázs wrote:
> Hi Debian-users,
>
> I have a strange problem (at least it is strange to me):
> problems occur when I try to save to floppy or put to server through FTP with
> files with more than 3 letter extensions. The file appears there, but
> extension chopped to 3 letters (e.g. gnumeric becomes gnu, html becomes htm)
> and the file contains nothing (0 bytes) ...
>
> It first came using Konqueror, so I thought it's a KDE problem, but continued
> when I tried to copy files to floppy from the command line.
>
> When giving copy command I get the answer 'File exists. Overwrite?' - which
> can't be, I checked first, there were no such files. After that if I choose
> yes to overwrite I get the empty file with chopped extension.

Maybe the remote filesystem / floppy filesystem is fat12 (msdos). Only
fat16 upwards / vfat supports more than 8character name 3 character
extension filenames.

HTH,

Shri

Shri Shrikumar             U R Byte Solutions
I.T. Consultant            Edinburgh, Scotland     Tel: 0845 644 4745
Email: shri@urbyte.com                             Web: www.urbyte.com