Re: First Ever Debian Install: my notes

On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 06:18:21PM -0700, Brian Gonzales wrote:
> I too did my first install a few weeks ago. My first install failed
> because I have an ATA100 drive and the default kernel wouldn't work.
> After sucessfully loading the 2.4 kernel with Woody, I decided to
> install everything, fart around see what stuff I liked. My 3rd and final
> install only has stuff I want, except my Yamaha soundcard doesn't work.

Which kernel version is this?  Surely not 2.4.18-bf2.4 still, right?
After you install a proper kernel, try the 'discover' or 'kudzu'
packages; they seem to do a fairly good job of configuring stuff
automagically.

> As far as tasksel and deselect...WORTHLESS! I tried kpackage and
> instantly began liking Debian.

Heh.  Have you had a look at aptitude?  It's got all the non-sucky bits
from dselect and apt-get and one neat litte UI.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>                              http://www.ertius.org/
Encrypt your mail: 1024D/1E73B7CD, 4096R/3ABDE5EC | Do I look like I want a CC?