Re: fontconfig, xftconfig, xf86config... I'm lost :-(

On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 11:48:34PM +0200, Dominique Deleris wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I've dist-upgraded my Sarge box today, and I see that fontconfig
> has been installed. I've heard of it before, but I'd like to know
> how it will interact withe my previously existing fonts
> installation.
>
> Here it goes:
>
> In /etc/X11/XF86Config-4:
> =========================
> 	FontPath     "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType/"
> 	FontPath     "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled"
> 	FontPath     "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
> 	FontPath     "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
> 	FontPath     "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
> 	FontPath     "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"

Cool.  Normal X apps, (terminals, emacs, mozilla (mostly), etc) can now
see the fonts you have installed in these dirs.

> In /etc/X11/XftConfig:
> ======================
> dir "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType/"
> dir "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"

This configures Xft1, which was not used by very many things at all.
qt2 and libgdkxft0 are the only things I can think of that used it, and
both worked fine without it.  At this stage, I'd just ignore this file.

> Is it true that fontconfig will only be used by GTK2 apps?

GTK2 and QT3 and mozilla-xft and any other app that uses fontconfig.
Those three probably cover everything you'll see in the real world,
though.

> Should I put all my TrueType fonts in /usr/share/fonts/truetype?

You can put them whereever you want, as long as you tell things where to
find them.  You haven't listed this dir in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, so X
doesn't know about it.  If you want fontconfig-ified apps to use them,
you need an entry like this to your /etc/fonts/local.conf:

<dir>/usr/share/fonts/truetype</dir>

It needs to go inside the <fontconfig> section, though.  That should be
enough to get fontconfig to see those fonts.  You can of course add as
many <dir>/var/blah</dir> entries as you like.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>                              http://www.ertius.org/
Encrypt your mail: 1024D/1E73B7CD, 4096R/3ABDE5EC | Do I look like I want a CC?