Re: Which device is ide-scsi?

On Sat, 05 Apr 2003 the mental interface of
Alan Chandler told:

> In order to play dvds on my ide dvd player I am told I have to load ide-scsi
> module and link /dev/dvd to the device that represents.  How can I find out
> which device that is?
>
> My dvd rom device is hdd - as shown here
>
> kanger:/proc/ide/ide1/hdd# more model
> Pioneer DVD-ROM ATAPIModel DVD-104S 020
>
> I have added append hdd=ide-scsi in my lilo config and this module is
> definately loaded.  If I look in /proc/scsi there is a subdirectory called
> ide-scsi and a single file in it named "1" with the following text "SCSI host
> adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices".
>
> On my system I have a real scsi bus with a cd writer on it, plus a usb smart
> media reader.  When I look in the file /proc/scsi/scsi it lists these two but
> NOT the ide-scsi device - thus
>
> alan@kanger:/proc/scsi$ more scsi
> Attached devices:
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 03 Lun: 00
>   Vendor: TEAC     Model: CD-R55S          Rev: 1.0J
>   Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
>   Vendor: eUSB     Model: SmartMedia       Rev: 5.04
>   Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>

> I tried linking /dev/dvd to /dev/scd1

cat /proc/scsi/scsi must show your scsi emulated dvd player. So try
modprobe ide-scsi (check with lsmod | grep ide-s) and do a link from
ln -s /dev/scd2 /dev/dvd. I suppose scd0 is your burner and scd1 is
your card-reader. To load ide-scsi on every boot put a single line
ide-scsi
in you /etc/modules.

HTH

Ciao

Elimar

--
  Never make anything simple and efficient when a way
  can be found to make it complex and wonderful ;-)