Which device is ide-scsi?

In order to play dvds on my ide dvd player I am told I have to load ide-scsi
module and link /dev/dvd to the device that represents.  How can I find out
which device that is?

My dvd rom device is hdd - as shown here

kanger:/proc/ide/ide1/hdd# more model
Pioneer DVD-ROM ATAPIModel DVD-104S 020

I have added append hdd=ide-scsi in my lilo config and this module is
definately loaded.  If I look in /proc/scsi there is a subdirectory called
ide-scsi and a single file in it named "1" with the following text "SCSI host
adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices".

On my system I have a real scsi bus with a cd writer on it, plus a usb smart
media reader.  When I look in the file /proc/scsi/scsi it lists these two but
NOT the ide-scsi device - thus

alan@kanger:/proc/scsi$ more scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 03 Lun: 00
  Vendor: TEAC     Model: CD-R55S          Rev: 1.0J
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: eUSB     Model: SmartMedia       Rev: 5.04
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02

I tried linking /dev/dvd to /dev/scd1

alan@kanger:/proc/scsi$ ls -l /dev/scd1 /dev/dvd
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            4 Apr  5 08:19 /dev/dvd -> scd1
brw-rw----    1 root     cdrom     11,   1 Mar 14  2002 /dev/scd1

But when I then try with (eg) mplayer it fails to open the device

Playing DVD title 1
libdvdcss error: failed opening device
libdvdread: Can't open /dev/dvd for reading.
Couldn't open DVD device: /dev/dvd

For what its worth, trying to get mplayer to read /dev/hdd directly also fails
(which was why I was advised to link /dev/dvd to the ide-scsi device in the
first place)

Reading disc structure, please wait...
libdvdread: Can't seek to block 256
libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.IFO.

I'm stumped.  Can anyone help me

- --
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk