simple networking problem - bringing up eth0 correctly

I need to automate setting up my network and i seem to be missing
something...

using debian
      Linux Version 2.4.18-bf2.4-xfs

if i manually do the following commands i can get out on my network
   ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.50 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
   route add default gw 192.168.1.254

i also seem to be not setting up for dns... how do i set that up? (can't
resolv names)

Your help greatly appreciated, I used to run freebsd years ago, but now am
trying to use linux and obviously need help.

---dale