Re: Does the GPL requires recognition?

* Aryan Ameri <a.ameri@linuxiran.org> [2003-04-05 23:53]:
> Hi there:
>
> A basic licensing question:
> Does the GNU GPL, requires authors of derivative works, to give credit
> to the original authors or not? I mean, let's say if I write a GPL
> program, and someone uses a portion of my code in his GPL software, is
> it mandatory for him to give me credit for my work?

I think it depends on what copyright notice you attached to the original
source code. I think that the author of a derivative work is only
required to include any copyright notice and license found in the original
work. If you, as the copyright holder, just include the GPL and state that
you are licensing the software under the GPL without mentioning yourself by
name as the copyright holder, I don't think the author of a derivative work
is obliged to mention you. Possibly he is not obliged to mention you at all.
The whole issue of copyright with the GPL is a bit dodgy IMHO. It says:

"conspicuously and appropriately publish on each copy an appropriate
copyright notice"

How to read 'conspicuous' and 'appropriate' here? Have to wait for it
to be defined in court.