Re: Can't locate char-major-6

On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 09:03:54PM +0800, jqdkf@zju.edu.cn wrote:
> When I boot into my system, I get this information, and the syslog
> record this every minute. I try to search this with google but only find
> answers written in languages other than English, so I don't understand.
> Could anyone help me to figure out what is wrong and fix it? Thanks.

In the future, please put the information in your subject line into the
main text of your message also.  Not all people can see the subject line
while typing a reply.

char-major-6 would be the parallel printer.  Your system is probably
trying to load the module lp, but cannot find it (eg, it doesn't exist,
it is not in the proper location).

Excerpt from $KERNEL_SOURCE/Documentation/devices.txt:
  6 char      Parallel printer devices
                  0 = /dev/lp0          Parallel printer on parport0
                  1 = /dev/lp1          Parallel printer on parport1

              Current Linux kernels no longer have a fixed mapping
              between parallel ports and I/O addresses.  Instead, they
              are redirected through the parport multiplex layer.

--
Seneca
seneca-cunningham@rogers.com