Re: Does the GPL requires recognition?

On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 03:31:55PM +0300, Aryan Ameri wrote:
> Does the GNU GPL, requires authors of derivative works, to give credit
> to the original authors or not? I mean, let's say if I write a GPL
> program, and someone uses a portion of my code in his GPL software, is
> it mandatory for him to give me credit for my work?

If someone else uses code copyrighted by you, then they need to include
your copyright notice. As I understand it, this is true regardless of
the licence.

I don't believe that the GPL requires people to give you credit in their
documentation, advertising materials, or what have you. In fact, the
"BSD advertising clause" is incompatible with the GPL.