Re: Why des the x window system pacjage depend on xdm?

stan wrote:

> I'm installing on a sysem with a relativly small hard disk, so I'm trying
> to avoid as many unecessary packages as posible.
>
> I'm using gdm for my display maanger, and I went to dlete xdm in dselect,
> and it toldthe that the "x-window-system" package depended on it. I can see
> "recomends", but depends?

x-window-system is just a metapackage, one-stop-shopping when you want a
complete X installation. If that's not what you want, don't install it.
Instead, you can look at its list of dependencies and install
individually the ones you want.

x-window-system-core is the only really essential one. twm and xterm are
a good idea just in case someday you somehow get into a situation where
your regular window manager or X console emulator don't work. The rest
are up to you.

Craig