Re: Why des the x window system pacjage depend on xdm?

On Fri, Apr 04, 2003 at 04:00:39PM -0500, stan wrote:
> I'm installing on a sysem with a relativly small hard disk, so I'm trying
> to avoid as many unecessary packages as posible.
>
> I'm using gdm for my display maanger, and I went to dlete xdm in dselect,
> and it toldthe that the "x-window-system" package depended on it. I can see
> "recomends", but depends?

x-window-system is a virtual package to facilitate installation.  I'm
pretty sure you can remove it.

-troy

$ apt-cache show x-window-system
Package: x-window-system
Section: x11
Installed-Size: 116
Maintainer: Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>
Architecture: all
Source: xfree86
Version: 4.2.1-6
Depends: x-window-system-core, lbxproxy, proxymngr, twm, xdm, xfs, xfwp,
xnest, xprt, xspecs, xterm, xvfb
Filename: pool/main/x/xfree86/x-window-system_4.2.1-6_all.deb
Size: 68822
MD5sum: 087ac3a9749fcac66f0397e284c9dabf
 This metapackage provides substantially all the components of the X
 Window System as developed by the XFree86 Project, as well as a set of
 historically popular accessory programs.
 .
 The development and debugging libraries are not provided by this
 metapackage.