Re: Problems getting Samba to work

On Saturday 29 March 2003 17:25, David E. Meiser wrote:
> I am attempting to build a media server, using samba to transfer files
> to the media server from my Windows XP box and am unable to logon to the
> media server.  I am able to get to the media server and view the open
> shares, but I'm unable to get to the shared files themselves (let alone
> write to the directory).  When trying to access the folder, I get a
> login box that has "hostname\username" locked as the username.  I'm
> unable to find anything that might have caused this.  Below is the
> contents of my smb.conf.  Any help would be appreciated.

I just put up a Samba file server this weekend on a Debian SPARC box.  I have
a W98 and Wme clients.  I am a Samba newbie.

I put:
security = user
which is the default.

In the globals section I put in:
invalid users = root
valid users = laptop, W98

I created a share:
[netdisk0]
   path = /export/samba/netdisk0
   guest ok = yes
   writeable = yes

On the SPARC box  I did:
1. adduser for laptop and W98
2. smbpasswd -a laptop
3. smbapasswd - a W98
4. kill -SIGHUP <pid of smbd>

I restarted laptop and W98.
When I clicked the Network Neighborhood icons I found the SPARC box.  In the
SPARC box icon i found netdisk0.

I didn't have much success with the security = share option.  I kept being
asked for a password when I tried to access the shared resource.  Huh???

I found that restarting the windoze boxes often fixed things when behavior
got stupid.

YMMV because you are using XP.
HTH,
--