bootmanager madness

I tried to install grub to boot my linux or windows partition.
Unfortunatly it won't work.
Now, grub boots the grub shell, but nothing more. I've to tell him where
the configfile is

    configfile /grub/menu.lst

My menu appears and i can boot Linux. What i'm doing wrong, that grub
wont load the configfile?

I installed grub like with the grub-shell or with grub-install.
shell:
root (hd0,4)
setup (hd0)

where hd0 should be the mbr, or grub-install "(hd0)".

My configfile looks like this:
-----------------------------------
timeout 30
color light-green/brown blink-red/blue
default 0
fallback 1

title  GNU/Linux
kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20 root=/dev/hdb5 hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi

title Linux-old
kernel /bzImage-2.4.16 root=/dev/hdb8 hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi

title Windows 98 boot menu
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader  +1

The second thing is, that i can't boot my windows anymore. After
choosing the menu option, it won't any further :( Should it be
reinstalled?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Roman