Re: bootmanager madness

On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 12:14:08 +0200
Roman Joost <romanjoost@gmx.de> wrote:

> I tried to install grub to boot my linux or windows partition.
> Unfortunatly it won't work.
> Now, grub boots the grub shell, but nothing more. I've to tell him where
> the configfile is
>
>     configfile /grub/menu.lst
>
> My menu appears and i can boot Linux. What i'm doing wrong, that grub
> wont load the configfile?
>
> I installed grub like with the grub-shell or with grub-install.
> shell:
> root (hd0,4)
> setup (hd0)

AT the "grub" prompt, try doing this:

  grub> root (hd0,4)
  grub> setup (hd0)
  grub> quit

Then reboot. The above will only work if (hd0,4) is the location of the /boot that you are planning to use. If it's not, adjust accordingly.

> The second thing is, that i can't boot my windows anymore. After
> choosing the menu option, it won't any further :( Should it be
> reinstalled?

Before reinstalling, first try adding "makeactive" to the Windows 98 setting, like this:

  rootnoverify (hd0,0)
  makeactive
  chainloader +1

Let us know if this works.