Re: dpkg/dselect misbehavior

On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 10:42:19 -0500
Stephan Sauerburger <stephan@sauerburger.org> wrote:

> Oh man.. I just spent about 4 days installing packages and
> reconfiguring it from scratch, including rolling a new kernel. Not
> having to completely redo all of it again from a Woody CD would be
> most preferred. Is there any sort of Potato-to-Woody (2.2 to 3.0)
> automated update procedure implemented?

Here's something that might interest you; it depends on how much you're
offended by having the initial 2.2 kernel hanging around forever.

Do "dpkg --get-selections >/floppy/debs.installed."

On that same floppy, make an /etc/tree and copy to it the configuration
files you've changed from defaults.

Install Woodyr1; at the initial boot prompt type "bf24" to install with
kernel 2.4.18. Do NOT do any tasks. Do NOT run dselect. Install just the
base packages (106 of them, if you care).

After the installation is finished and you reboot, put the floppy in the
drive and do "dpkg --set-selections </floppy/debs.installed". Then do
"apt-get update && apt-get dselect-upgrade". Sit back and watch while
all the packages you installed under potato are installed in woody. You
may need to do "apt-get dist-upgrade" to bring down the new packages,
I'm not sure about that.

Copy from /floppy/etc/ your config files to /etc.

For your kernel you can follow the instructions here:

http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html

with particular attention to the Advanced topics section on using an
existing configuration.

This *is* more work than just "apt-get dist-upgrade" but I like having
the 2.4.18 kernel to start.

(I wish base-config were written so that you had to have *some* package
that provides "kernel" instead of keeping the original kernel.)

Kevin