Re: Should I upgrade my kernel?

On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 12:04:22 -0500
"Roberto Sanchez" <sanchezr@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I am running Woody with 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel.  I am wondering if I
> should bother upgrading my kernel?  If there is no point to upgrading
> now, what should I look for that will make it worthwhile?  I realize
> this is a pretty basic question, but I am still working to understand
> all the intricacies of Linux (i.e., I never had to worry about
> upgrading the kernel in Windows ;)

I recommend everyone recompile the kernel, just to prove to yourself
that you can. In Linux fear of a task is often worse than the task
itself.

And since  you're going to compile a kernel :) you may as well compile
the latest version; 2.4.20 patched for the security exploit is available
now in Sid.

Go here for a tutorial on compiling kernels The Debian Way:

http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html

Kevin