dpkg/dselect misbehavior

Hi all,

I just installed Debian from a Deb 2.2 Potato CD after a hard drive crash
which occurred about a month ago. I used the same CD I did for the previous
install, and as far as I can tell, the same installation procedure - just
put the essential packages from the first CD on the system, enough to
dselect and download/update the rest of the packages.

But here's the problem: several packages are missing from the dselect list
and dpkg -l that I know were there before, namely, anything with "kde" in
the name, konquerer and all other "k" tools, gnupg, allegro, gl Doom,
the entire "science" category, and several others. Also, many packages
complain that they have dependencies, and those dependencies cannot be found.

Secondly, dselect randomly complains about packages when 1 depends on the
other, even though they're the only 2 in the dependency list, and they're
both clearly marked to be installed. I keep hitting enter and it keeps
bringing me back to the screen as if I need to intervene about dependencies
or conflicts, when clearly there are none.

Oddly enough, some of these missing packages do successfully install when I
do an "apt-get install <packagename>", but not all. I can't really test
this with all of them, because I have no way of knowing the exact names of
all the missing packages.

Here is my /etc/apt/sources.list. I just commented out the CD line, and
uncommented the 3 http lines, that came in the file by default. Then I added
the 2 unstable lines I got from my friend's file when I realized there were
missing packages. The problem remained before and after:

----START sources.list------------

# See sources.list(5) for more information, especialy
# Remember that you can only use http, ftp or file URIs
# CDROMs are managed through the apt-cdrom tool.

#stable:
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free

#unstable:
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
deb ftp://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free

# Quake (commented out because it's slow as hell):
#deb http://www.quakeforge.net/packages/debian unstable contrib non-free

# Uncomment if you want the apt-get source function to work
# (I had tried these, but "http://non-us.debian.org stable/non-US
# Sources" was causing 404 errors during updates)
#deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
#deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable non-US

#deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 r3 _Potato_ - Official i386 Binary-1 (20010427)]/ unstable contrib main non-US/contrib non-US/main

-------END sources.list--------------

I'm wondering if maybe I had added more lines still during last install, and
hence just need to add them now, but I don't recall.

Any ideas? Let me know if the output of "apt-get update" is relevant.

Thanks.

--
Stephan