Re: xpdf

David Fokkema <fokkema@nat.vu.nl> wrote:

|> Luckily, time is not short (the talk will be on monday) and I can live
|> without anti-aliased eps. Unfortunately, I really can't begin to show my
|> institution's logo, since the text underneath it simply is too ugly and
|> unintelligible to show people that presentations in physics actually _can_
|> be done without PowerPoint and Windows and with LaTeX (nice formulas) and
|> Linux (nice and stable OS). <sigh> In gv, the logo looks beautiful. Maybe
|> I can resize it and 'anti-aliase' it with some program like the gimp? Any
|> ideas?

Maybe use pdflatex directly to produce the PDF file? That usually does
a much better job of producing attractive output than ps2pdf.

The problem you might encounter in this case is that you have to turn
embedded eps files into pdf files first and then refer to the images
without any extension. That is:

\includegraphics{filename}

rather than:

\includegraphics{filename.eps}

So you're still going to have to rely on a good eps-->pdf
converter. The one included in the teTeX distribution (ps2pdf) is OK,
but the bash script eps2pdf is more sophisticated, I think. As far as
I can tell it's not available in Debian, but you can get it here
(along with some good documentation)

http://soliton.science.uva.nl/~kager/figepspdf/eps2pdf.htm

Good luck with your presentation,

Jim