Re: How should we handle people who can not unsubscribe?

On Sat, 2003-03-29 at 03:23, Al Davis wrote:

> > On Friday 28 March 2003 15:22, Nathan E Norman wrote:
> > > Or, we could require users to pass some sort of
> > > comprehension test before successfully subscribing to the
> > > list
>
> On Friday 28 March 2003 08:56 am, Joerg Johannes wrote:
> > Such as changing the confirmatory mail when subscribing? It
> > does not longer contain the instructions in the body, but in
> > the signature... (To subscribe, just reply to this e-mail...)
>
> Change the "confirm" procedure ....
>
> The way it is now:
> When subscrbing the list sends you a message.  You must confirm
> by responding to it, keeping the subject intact.  Just "reply"
> does it.  The body doesn't matter.
>
> Proposed change:
> The list sends you a message.  You respond, keeping the subject
> intact, but in the body you must copy the "Received" headers
> from the confirmation message.  The body must consist of that
> and nothing else.
>
> How's that for "some sort of comprehension test".

I am getting the impression that many people commenting in this thread
didn't pay attention to what the OP was dealing with. IIUC, his email
address has been changed by his ISP from .com to .net, and while they
are still accepting email to the .com address and putting it in his .net
mailbox, he hasn't been able to email out as the .com address to
unsubscribe (although it is immensely questionable if he is
comprehending that it must be that address he uses to unsubscribe.)

Passing a comprehension test as described here is not going to
demonstrate sufficient clue-iostity to deal with unsubscribing when you
can no longer use the outbound address.

That said, again IIUC, he should be able to do it by switching his
self-identifying email address in the original and confirmation messages
to debian-user-request@list.debian.org, so that it knows to deal with
the .com address.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935