Re: Should I upgrade my kernel?

hi roberto,

is this machine for your own personal use, or have you given accounts
on it to other people?  if the case is the former, and it works fine
for you for what you need, i don't think you need to bother (though it
is definitely a worthwhile learning experience[1]).  however, if you
give other people access to this machine, you should _definitely_
upgrade, because there's a root-priviledge security hole in that
kernel[2].

hth
	sean

[1] take a look at the docs that come with the kernel-package package
[2] search back in the archives for ptrace.  here's the first ref. i
    found to it:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2003/debian-user-200303/msg04042.html

Both of my machines are for my personal use (1 desktop and 1 laptop). Your mention of a root exploit makes me worry though, since my desktop is connected to the internet 24/7 by a DSL modem.

Here is my setup:

Internet <-> DSL modem <-> (eth1) dekstop (eth0) <-> home network
 (dynamic IP from ISP)                    (dhcpd listeneing on eth0)
            (DSL modem IP: 192.168.1.254) (eth0 IP: 192.168.0.1)
            (eth1 IP: 192.168.1.1)

I am guessing that my desktop is not visible to the outside world (and I run an iptables firewall it). But I am not sure if I should be concerned.

-Roberto Sanchez