Re: Should I upgrade my kernel?

> I realize this is a pretty basic question, but I am still working to
> understand all the intricacies of Linux (i.e., I never had to worry about
> upgrading the kernel in Windows ;)

Sure you have.  They call them "service packs".  :)

I never noticed. This is probably becuase EVERY SINGLE service pack requires a reboot.

I remember when I first switched to linux, I installed a package (I was using RH at the time) with rpm. I expected to get a little reboot message, but nothing. When I asked my friend about it, he explained that the only time a reboot is required is required after installing somehting is for the boot loader and the kernel (and that's only if you want to use the new kernel immediately). I have never looked at windows the same way again 8-)

-Roberto Sanchez