Local Root Hole

I recently read on slashdot.com the following.

xepsilon writes "A local Linux security hole using ptrace has been
discovered that allows a potential attacker to gain root privileges. Linux
2.2.25 has been released to correct this security hole, along with a patch
for 2.4.20-pre kernels. 2.4.21 ought to contain this fix, once it is
released. 2.5 is not believed to be vulnerable to this security hole. See
this email from Alan Cox for details, and a patch."

I am using debian kernel 2.4.18-586
Does this apply to me.  If so I am a newbie and don't know exactly how to
find the patch or even implement it.  Please advise.  Kris