Re: How long is linux going to be free ?

On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 02:56:24AM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 12:23:52AM +0100, Rudy Gevaert wrote:
> > PS for the orginal poster:  Do you know there are issues with the name
> > Linux?  Linux is just the kernel.  If you fully support the GNU
> > project you _could_ name the operating system GNU/Linux, or in your ---
> > and my --- case Debian GNU/Linux.
>
> As much as I like RMS, I think if he wants people to call anything
> GNU/Linux, he needs to go out and start an all-GNU distribution, since
> you don't necissarily have to use GNU tools to use it, or compile it.

How soon we forget ...

Debian was once an FSF-sponsored project, which is probably part of why
*we* still call the system GNU/Linux. Although Debian and the FSF split
during Bruce Perens' term of leadership, we still have fairly close ties
on many things, and Debian is still probably about the best framework
there is for the FSF to work on a distribution.

Plus, last I checked, you *do* need the GNU tools to compile Linux
correctly (yes, in addition to all the other stuff).